I’m now sold on using Prototype. Sam Stephenson deserves heaps of praise. To help out others who are looking for documentation and examples, here is a list of resources for Prototype.
- Prototype: The official website for Prototype.
- Prototype Subversion repository: Sometimes looking at the source (and its history) is the only way to answer a question.
- Developer Notes for prototype.js: This site provides great examples on using Prototype and an amazing reference section. If you use Prototype at all this is a site you’ll want to bookmarked for easy access.
- Easily upgrade your forms to AJAX: A lot of AJAX activity focuses around HTML forms, this page provides a basic example on how Prototype makes that possible.
- script.aculo.us prototype wiki: Another good reference site with some examples.
While trying to debug AJAX I recommend using the Firefox plugin called FireBug. Turn on the “XMLHttpRequest Spy” feature and you’ll be able to monitor all of the AJAX transactions that are going on.
Of course Prototype isn’t perfect, there are still important limitations and issues to keep in mind. For instance, the target platforms for Prototype are (from the README):
Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, version 6.0 and higher
Mozilla Firefox 1.0/Mozilla 1.7 and higher
Apple Safari 1.2 and higher